Monday, December 13, 2010

Importance to Me:



Bob Fosse matters to me because I consider him to be a legend. Ever since my mom gave me the Fosse cd when I was a little girl I idolized his dancers and pieces that he put together. His movements are so full and warming, there is no half way dancing his technique. In order to master his choreography you have to invest all your heart and strength. Even when his movement is so rare and different, there are few cynical people that will criticize his work. This quote is another reason I find him so interesting.



“Though he was physically "wrong" as a dancer, Bob Fosse never let those limitations impede his artistic ambition. Molding his own imperfections into a distinct, sinuous style, Fosse left his mark on Broadway and brought an innovative dimension of sophistication and sensual energy to the movie musical.”




I think as a person he over came challenges with his body and pushed forward to accomplish his own ambitions no matter what was standing in his way. There are many dancers in today’s day and age that would simply give up if someone turned then away for having the wrong body type. Another reason I enjoy Fosse is because I think his movement is more performance based than modern types of dance. This is the type of dancer I would like to be. His movements are sensual and take risks that some would call risqué. I think his type of dancing indulges a way of moving that many people would like to practice but either see it as morally wrong to do on stage or never have the chance because it is hard to get work doing Bob Fosse’s technique. The only places I find Fosse’s pieces are in movies, which leads me to the last reason I like him so much. He has influenced the dance world so much that his technique and shows are still being remade into updated and replicated versions of his past. His work is so powerful that people still want to watch it. A critic speaks about Fosse and says:

That was what Fosse, at his best, continued to deliver throughout the 30-some succeeding years of his career: a sassy, confrontational and insistently sexual style that both baited and winked at his audiences. Even at his most ironic, the man behind ''Sweet Charity,'' ''Chicago'' and the film of ''Cabaret'' infused his work with impudent glee, a show-off's satisfaction in performing well.”



5 comments:

  1. I really liked this blog entry because in a small amount of writing I felt like I learned a lot about him. Even though he was physically "wrong" as a dancer it just makes me so happy that he didn't give up. His technique is so not modern but I wonder how he feels about modern dance. I'm sure that someone with his artistic ability appreciates the modern dance world but as a dancer I wonder if he dances in the modern style. He obviously had a very successful career on Broadway which is very respectable but it's even more respectable that people are still excited about Fosse and want to learn and teach his style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so inspiring to me that Bob Fosse is someone who is so successful and well recognized in the dance world, but also someone who had to work hard to get there. He did not have the "perfect" body, but I very much admire the fact that he persevered and pushed to achieve what he really wanted to do, with odds against him. Also, I admire his style. It seems so very difficult to do- to be able to have a strong technique but to also "let loose" to add style to your dancing is well. It takes a very talented dancer to do that, and it amazes me how well it is performed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob Fosse technique was one of my jazz teacher's favorite as I was growing up. I love that you did a blog about him, and I learned a lot about him through the information you posted! It all makes sense now that he wore a hat because of his balding head, and I never looked at his technique as being "wrong," but I can totally see how it could be! It definitely takes a hard working dancer to endure the Fosse technique and make it look good! Also, I love the layout of your blog, it makes it a lot easier to navigate! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, I love the Bob Fosse was able to override his imperfections and make his style it's own. I know as a dancer, I was not the best, but I gave it my all. I often gave more than the most naturally talented girl there. Fosse gave it his all, and was able to come up with his very own style, that people are not dying to learn, and imitate. It is very inspiring that he was able to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As many others have said I love that he took what made him wrong and made something amazing out of it. Fosse has created such an idolized style and it is all because he didn't fit into the mold. It's a great thing to keep in mind for young dancers who maybe aren't given solos or anything because they don't fit into what someone else wants.

    ReplyDelete